Hello, I’m Paik Jong Won (Paik Jong Won) (and Yang Se Hyung) (are doing a) (cooking vlog) (Paik’s Cooking Log) (Delicious Rendezvous)
(Gamjajjageuri (Potato Stew)) It’s perfect rice accompaniment [Paik Jong Won’s Secret Ingredients] Today’s video is on ‘Delicious Rendezvous’ The purpose of the show ‘Delicious Rendezvous’ is to help many farmers and fishers around the country by using local produce on the show and thankfully many people really like the show so farmers and fishers feel really supported In order to help out more we decided to show all the recipes that were featured on the show through YouTube videos First we’ll show you the recipes of dishes we made on the show that are easy to do at home That’s why we did the sauce for making Honggeramyeon
(Red Crab Instant Noodles) last time This time (Gamjajjageuri)
it’s gamjajjageuri using canned meat (Transformation of potato
into the perfect rice accompaniment) (Everyone can easily make it at home) So, I invited Se Hyung today even though he’s very busy – Here he is!
– Wow! Hello Hello, all you subscribers
and viewers out there! Hello, I’m comedian Yang Se Hyung Why are you being so serious? You have 3.1 million – subscribers
– Stop it! I know you’re happy about it I am – That’s really amazing
– Se Hyung is also on YouTube (Search Yang Se Brothers on YouTube)
While this video is being played a link to his channel will be
shown at the bottom so please check it out Leave funny comments on his videos What Se Hyung will be making today is something we often did on the show House Cook Master Paik He’s probably better than me I’m going to show you
how to make gamjajjageuri This is a little bit harder than making ramen – Right?
– Right I’ll work with Mr. Paik today to show you how easy it is I’m only going to help
do it over here – Bring the ingredients
– Okay (The exact measurements are posted) These are ugly potatoes I bought them at E-mart (Ugly potatoes / 780 won)
This is 780 won for one bag – Not even 1,000 won
– Yes [Paik Jong Won’s Secret Ingredients] (Chapter.1 Preparing ingredients)
What you need for this dish are potatoes green onion, onion and cheongyang pepper That’s all you need (Spam)
Buy one can (Looking for potato peeler)
Get the smaller one (Where is the potato peeler?)
When I make this for me and brother (Here?)
I make about four servings and (Found it)
this is perfect for that Can you only use Spam?
Would other ones work? Other kinds of ham work – Right?
– Yes Spam is very salty compared to other kinds of ham This recipe is for Spam So if you’re using something else like Luncheon Meat you’d have to season it a bit more Also if you’re on the other side of the globe probably in the U.S. or in Australia Spam is much tastier there It’s a lot saltier too Use the classic one I’ve had Spam in Korea and it’s not as salty that would be
more suitable for Korean people Spam is better there For my case I always use this I haven’t tried other ones You’re trying to get
a commercial contract huh? No, no, I just really liked You taught me this way
on the show that’s why I like to stick to the recipe
that you taught us That’s why I haven’t tried other ones I can’t tell how other kinds of ham would taste I don’t want it to taste bad if I use other hams Oh, I see Just use Spam then Try with this first and incorporate other kinds of ham later on Let’s call them to get sponsored (Call them) – Should we use about two potatoes?
– Okay, two? – Two big ones?
– Okay (Ugly potatoes)
Ugly potatoes look like this Look at this one We had one like this before To learn how to peel this potato (Search KimHeeChul on YouTube)
If you go to Hee Chul’s channel on YouTube He has a video on peeling potatoes He had nothing better
to upload on his channel – Did you watch it?
– I just saw the title I saw Hee Chul’s video on peeling potatoes Did you? Was it for ugly potatoes? Yes, they were ugly potatoes but he was really bad at it Ugly potatoes look like this in a weird shape like this But it’s totally fine to eat them It’s just more work to peel them Prepare other ingredients
I’ll peel the potatoes (Peel the potatoes with a peeler) This is very easy to make at home For the onion, you just need to cut it however you like About 1-cm big (Cut the onion into a decent size) This big
(How big?) About this big
As big as your finger The size doesn’t matter here It really doesn’t matter If you like to cut it in cubes
go ahead You’re going to cook this until it softens
so it doesn’t matter – Right, sir?
– Yes It tastes better the longer you boil down For green onion Mr. Paik chops finely for infusing oil with green onion but don’t worry about that Just cut in a way so that
you won’t hurt your hand (Chop the green onion into a decent size) There we go What I like about this dish is that I’m sure you get my point when you’re preparing the
ingredients on a plate it gets everywhere so you have to clean up in the middle of it But for this all you need is
a cutting board and a pot Mr. Paik is peeling the potatoes now But when you’re doing this at home peel the potatoes first cut them and put them in a pot right away You put all the ingredients
at once and just boil it That’s why I said this is a little bit
harder than making ramen It’s so easy But it tastes much better than ramen – You’re good
– Thank you The pepper (Cut the pepper into decent sizes)
Just cut roughly Cut it to a similar size like when we have it with pork belly
With no hassles If you don’t like spicy food
you don’t need to put it in But for pepper I highly recommend putting it in I suggest you try everything I do on this video And then judge for yourself if you like it And then the ham is most important To be honest gamjajjageuri cannot taste good – without ham
– Right This is the key ingredient People will be surprised if you make this for them because we’re not cutting Spam into big pieces I’ll show you now I’m going to mash the Spam – And
– That’s the key point Yes, it is And then put it in a plastic bag and just mash everything (Mash the Spam in a plastic bag) One thing you have to be careful about is to not hold the bag too tight or else the bag might explode Hold loosely so the air can go in and out and then mash I popped the bag once It’s a stress reliever It’s kind of like slime All we need to do now
is cut the potatoes I like how I don’t have to do any work
and just watch I like that about YouTube For potatoes to be honest you shouldn’t put it in as a whole since it needs to be seasoned
(Right) Just cut it however you want But I recommend cutting them in the same size as the onions into square sticks which seemed just right for me It doesn’t matter how potato looks since we won’t be eating it
like a side dish – Later
– It’ll be mashed – We’ll eat it with rice, right?
– Of course It’ll get mashed later on
because you mix it with rice Right, you’ll mix it with rice So, when… Oh! Pick it up quickly 1, 2, 3 It hasn’t been 3 seconds, right? What’s with 3 seconds? (3-second rule)
Picking up from the floor within 3 seconds All right (Cut the potato into decent sizes) It makes me nervous to
make this in front of 3 million viewers – not 1 million
– Don’t be – It’s okay, they’re all nice
– Oh yeah? This looks like a chestnut I’ll just cut it once Like this We’re almost done – Right?
– (Yes) The reason I wanted to cut the potatoes first earlier is because we have to put them at the bottom of the pot (2 potatoes (400g))
Let’s put them in This is really easy Cut the potatoes first
and put them in – Then cut the next ingredient
– Right My cutting board isn’t this big If your cutting board is small start with the potatoes first and put them in
and then cut the onions (1/2 onion (100g))
and And then you are suppose to put green onion and pepper later after it starts boiling But I put everything in at once Yes, you can do that Everything at once (Green onion 1 cup (80g) &
3 Cheongyang pepper (15g)) And this, too (Spam 1 can (200g))
Put it all in (Every bit of it) (Add all the ingredients) [Paik Jong Won’s Secret Ingredients] (Chapter.2 Adding seasonings)
When cooking at home everyone measures with a spoon – Our spoon is exactly this size
– Really? It’s usually this size Using this spoon except for soybean paste coarse red pepper powder and soy sauce you’ll be adding 1 spoon of everything There’s cooking wine here But I’ve never used this at home – so I’ll skip it
– Cooking wine is not essential (Sugar 1 (10g))
1 spoon of sugar One spoon And then red pepper powder Since the spoon’s still clean About 2 spoons (Coarse red pepper powder 2 tbsp (10g)) And then 1 spoon of minced garlic (Minced garlic 1 tbsp (15g)) 1 spoon of minced garlic 1 spoon of red pepper paste (Red pepper paste 1 tbsp (20g)) If you try to add sugar with this spoon
it’s not a good idea That’s why I started with sugar first Cooking becomes fun once you start learning these small details
(Right) You pick up those things – And then
– I’m so proud for soybean paste if you add one spoon of it the flavor of soybean paste might cover the rest so add about half a spoon About this much (Soybean paste 1/2 tbsp (10g))
Half a spoon is enough For soy sauce the recipe says four spoons for this But taste it as you go and you can add more or use less I’ll start with 4 spoons now – You need more soy sauce than you think
– One (Dark soy sauce 4 tbsp (40g))
two, three, four Now, all you need to do is add water
and boil it down – How much water?
– What I had the most trouble with in the beginning The amount of water? 200mL or 300mL I don’t have a measuring cup at home It’s difficult to measure exactly Don’t worry about the amount Just enough water to sink all the ingredients (Add just enough water
to sink the ingredients) – It’s not quite a stew
– Right This much! If you look the ingredients are under water About this much Having not enough water is okay but if you put too much in – then it becomes…
– It becomes a stew Then it becomes difficult By the way he’s saying it
it’s coming from experience Right This is because I had the most trouble with
adding too much water when making jjageuri It takes too long to boil down After a while, it does boil down but the ingredients get all mushy I’m not good at cooking either but a few days ago my brother and I decided to
cook some ramen at home It just looked like he had too much water So I told him there’s too much water But he said it’s fine and it turned out to be too bland I could have added
soybean paste or something but I just wanted plain ramen that day So I told my brother, it’s always better to be shy on the amount
of water you add in at first You can always add more if needed The thing is – He’s right
– this applies to all kinds of cooking – said Mr. Paik
– Oh, did I? No wonder it sounds familiar I guess I told you that [Paik Jong Won’s Secret Ingredients] (Chapter3. Boiling Jjageuri)
Let’s start boiling So for me this is what I do when I cook this at home I play some games while waiting – What game do you play?
– PUBG… I don’t play often these days because it needs to boil for a while I mean the potato, onion, green onion cheongyang pepper and the ham all need to infuse their flavors all together – so boil for quite a while
– Right And for the potatoes we said we’ll mix with the rice So not waiting until it softens because you don’t have time I don’t recommend it It really needs to soften – until it’s all mushy
– Right For the potatoes when you mix it on the rice the thickness should be just right
that it’ll get mashed The longer you cook, the better it is If it boils like a stew the flavor doesn’t get rich Wow, it starts boiling so fast If it boils fast because the heat is high lower the heat and
simmer for a long time – Right?
– Right From what I experienced I use a regular gas stove back home and if I don’t want to keep an eye on it Low heat from the beginning? I put it on medium heat – So you can play games?
– Yes If you put it on high heat it might boil over
so don’t do that Keep it on medium heat the whole time and it’ll do all the work by itself If you want to do that you should get an induction cooktop (LG induction cooktop)
LG induction cooktop! Oh, an induction cooktop ad (A gas stove)
I think I like gas stoves better (100 Jong Won)
(Looking for sponsorships) (Simmer until the potatoes become mushy) I was going to get dinner after this but I don’t have much time
so I’ll just eat here instead Please get me some Kimchi and rice That’s smart Should we lower the heat? Should we? Earlier I used the spoon
with red pepper paste on it so I don’t think I added all 4 spoons I’ll add one more spoon There was red pepper paste
on this so We should lower the heat and simmer That’s the right amount of heat to cook the potatoes while simmering It was too high earlier Oh, I should get some Kimchi then I should take out the
‘Do Not Touch’ Kimchi What is that? Kimchi I made for gimjang Cabbage Kimchi When you had a pile of cabbages here? (The Kimchi from back then) (Gamjajjageuri is done) [Paik Jong Won’s Secret Ingredients] If you look here what’s different now is that you’ll see the fat floating The fat from the ham It’s going well “Come on, fat” “Come on, fat” I’m pretending to look over because I’m doing this for the video for everyone to show but I usually don’t even touch it until the end How long has it been since you made this? – About a month?
– Is it fermented? Since it’s been fermented in the fridge I’ve been fermenting slowly in the fridge
so I can eat it all winter I’ll give you a quick tip on how to cut Kimchi in the meantime After taking out the whole cabbage Kimchi cut the outermost leaf And then spread out this leaf and cover the rest like this – Why?
– It’s thick on the top and thin on the bottom So flip it upside down like this Like this For guests not when you’re eating alone I’m doing it on a plate
not to stain the cutting board It’s easier on a cutting board After wrapping it like that pretend I have gloves on cut off the end and grab it like this Then you get a nicely wrapped Kimchi
like this – Oh, wow
– See? Serve each piece of Kimchi
like this per guest Like the Kimchi served at a hotel Yes, you’re right You’re grabbing Kimchi as if it’s a viper This is not cut cabbage If you make whole cabbage Kimchi you can use this outer leaf to make Kimchi look really pretty Take the outermost large leaf and put it like this – Should I give it a try?
– Yes, wrap it like this Remember to wrap it If I cut it just like this Right, right It spreads out It spreads out Like grabbing a viper Why do you call it a viper? – Did you go catch snakes?
– Yes, when I was young Wrap it nicely I’m only pressing hard at the tip of my fingers – Then…
– Like this (?) What? I thought you got bitten by a viper I’m showing them I did it – Isn’t it fun?
– Yes You know This is a great tip when you have guests Your guests will feel like
they’re treated well On a small plate you can also do this For those thinking about
running a restaurant Add Kimchi water and do plating like this right before serving It’s a lot of work to cut it every time Cut it in advance and just pour over Kimchi water right before serving – You’re going to compare them?
– Yes (Roughly cut) (Nicely cut) It’s done, sir – Is it?
– We need to eat it Rice – Get the rice
– Here it is – Already?
– Yes Let’s clean this up [Paik Jong Won’s Secret Ingredients] If you look here this is the perfect consistency If you have some water at the bottom then you failed (Boil for long time to leave less broth) Oh, nice – Good?
– Yes (Yes!) Look at the potatoes it gets mashed on the rice That’s how long you have to simmer for that nice flavor of ham to come out It’s going to be so good You’re the one who made it It’s good
You nailed it (2 thumbs up) It’s perfect with rice It really is A perfect rice accompaniment Wow My brother and I eat two bowls of rice with this It’s just right for the two of us So I made gamjajjageuri today with the help of Mr. Paik As you’ve just seen it’s so easy Just follow the recipe and you can taste what we’re having now I hope you enjoy That’s how you do it Enjoy it (Click here)
Flitto – Finest subtitles translation provider (And here, too)
Flitto – Finest subtitles translation provider